Thursday, June 30, 2011

Adoption Story Page Seven, Fight for the Promise

I wish I could tell you that once we decided to adopt that we lived happily ever after. I know we all wish that to be true in our situations, but that's not how life turns out. Publicly I cannot tell you each detail of this story, due to privacy issues. But I will tell you as much as I can, so that I might convey to you the importance of fighting for your destiny.
One day in late Summer 2009, we were told about an eighteen month old baby boy. All they told us was that he was the same tribe as me, that he had been in a shelter for a few days and that he had red hair. Justin and I immediately felt that this child was meant to be ours. I think it was that initial reaction that gave us the strength we needed over the next two months.
To make a very long story very short, we thought we were going to be able to bring him home, but important people decided that we could not. WE WERE HEARTBROKEN. We were ready to go with everything we needed and then they said no.  I cannot tell you how much I wanted to crawl under my bed at that time. But I didn't, we didn't. We fought. We felt like he was meant to be ours, and we fought for him. Again, I cannot discuss the tactics, but we laid all our cards on the table, we did all we could and then.... we sat back and watched God bring our son home to us.
Philip, On the first day in our home.
Nearly two months after hearing about a little red headed choctaw, and a much needed vacation later, we got a phone call. The man on the phone said "I understand you were interested in fostering Philip?" "Yes!" I said. "Do you still want to take him?" "YES!!!"
Two weeks later we drove to the Love's station and picked up our son for the weekend, and the next Wednesday we moved him to his forever home. This was the fulfilment of the beautiful work that God began nine years earlier. This was the fulfilment of God's promise to build our home. This was what God had intended for us all along, and we did not give up in the darkest hour of pursuing it. We fought and God fought for us.

1 comment:

  1. I have so enjoyed following your journey. I know you are great parents, and the picture indicates to me he is happy where he is. You are also a great writer....who knows?

    ReplyDelete